Friday, September 11, 2009

9.11

Every September 11, we are faced with images of the Towers burning and a barrage of story headlines telling us to "never forget". I think we have forgotten. I know for myself, the first time after 9/11 that I watched any footage of the attacks was on 9-11-06, a full five years after the attacks. Why? Seeing the buildings burn and collapse, and panicked people running through the streets was just too disturbing. I actually cried that day in front of the TV, even being 3000 miles away from New York. Watching people huddled in windows above the crash site, knowing that they will die, who wants to remember that?

I think we should. 9/11 has become a D-Day event, where we talk heroics and patriotism but never think of the incredible suffering we went through that day or. So, on the September 11, I am facing my horror and repulsion at events of 9/11, and taking the opportunity to pray for our nation. We had a 4 day work week, and it was really hard for some reason. But when I saw the picture of the Falling Man again, it reminded me that I don't go to work and have the possibility of choosing to burn to death, or free fall for 10 seconds to my death. I can't imagine the suffering that the 200 or so "jumpers" faced in making that decision. I hope you will take this image for what it is, a reminder of the suffering of 9/11 and an opportunity to truly not forget what happened that day. No star spangled banners or My Country Tis of Thee's, a moment in an American's life that was cut short by an act of hatred. An image that most media outlets feel uncomfortable showing, that is just one of many of the images we need to see the most. We need to pray for our country, now more than ever.

God Bless the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment