Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Charleston Vacation. Patriots Point

Today Joe and I visited Patriots Point, which consists of a Naval and Maritime Museum. We toured the Yorktown, which is an aircraft carrier that served in WWII, and the Clamagore, which is a submarine.

We spent about 4 hours touring both vessels, and we could have easily spent another 4. This is a picture heavy post, because there was just SO much to see and do! I really recommend heading out to Patriots Point if you ever get the chance, it is well worth the time!

Joe and I with the USS Yorktown (CV-10) in the background.


FIRE!


View of the Ravenel Bridge. The picture really doesn't do it justice.


The USS Yorktown


The USS Clamagore


Joe and I getting ready to defend the country.



A few of the countless memorials on the Yorktown. I wish I would have had time to read it one, they really bring home the fact that people have died to protect our freedom. I teared up a few times.





Some of the sights on the ship.






Me getting my flight briefing.


On the Flight Deck









Sleep peacefully America, Joe and I will protect you.



Instructions for burial at sea.


In the captain's chair. This really rad old man offered to take our picture. Thanks Pops.



Actual debris from a Japanese Kamikaze


Where a Marine contingent slept on the ship. Note that they sleep right across the hall from the guns. Sweet.



The ship had TONS of models of the ships. This was a Japanese ship. Check out all the guns on this bad boy!



We win!


The Brig aka the way prisons should be on land.


Some photos from the Medal of Honor Museum. I wish I could have spent more time reading their stories. Wonderful tribute to those who went above and beyond. I don't know why, but this kid was so cute to me.





DIVE! DIVE! Just a few pics from the submarine. Trust me, it would SUCK to have to live in this baby for months at a time. Cramped!

3 comments:

  1. Great photos and it looks like you had a good time and great weather! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had such a great time! We really look forward to going back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much to see on that boat. You guys really did a great job putting that all together, thank you.

    ReplyDelete